Thursday, July 17, 2008

SAHM money making schemes

Every stay at home mom would would love to find a way to bring a small income in from home. That is why I am suckered into buying a thousand useless items from Pampered Chef, candle parties, scrabooking stuffs from friends. (I'm not complaining really, I find those parties a great opportunity to get together and chat and take a load off) Well, my husband wants me to find a way to make money from home. I've found a couple ways to start out, but I find I am embarassed to talk about it because these are not new ideas. SAHMs have been trying to make money selling crummy little homemade items for years. What makes me think I will be successful. Well, my first thought was Ebay. I could give it a try and it would cost me no money. Preston has acquired some electrical items that are worth money and I have some kitchen items. So far, going great. We sold our first item and I'm shipping it out today. My concern is that we sold it for $50 plus shipping (we will make a little on the shipping too) which is fine becuase the item cost us no money, but it is still way under it's market value. How do people keep acquiring stuff for so cheap that they can afford to sell it on Ebay. I'd have to get free stuff all the time! I can see what fuels theft with things like Ebay around.
Anyways, I don't see this lasting. So, my next idea is teacher gifts and other small treats. Yah, original, I know. But I got some awesome ideas from Jen Sellars (in my ward) and we are going to do it together. I've started making samples and we will take pics and make a pamphlet and maybe from there just start advertising locally, taking sample gift baskets to corporations and going from there. Unfortunately there is a small start up cost becuase you have to buy the cutel little cello bags(so many different shapes and sizes) and ribbon and the expensive Callebaut chocolate. We'll make chocolate covered marshmellows, licorice and pretzels...and wrapping is everything. Jen does this sooo much and she is very good at it. I'm willing and not afriad to market so hopefully we will make a good team. and if it doesn't work, we ddin't put too much money into it, we've got presents for the people we visit teach for months and some yummy treats to eat ourselves! Anyways, that has consumed my last several days. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Kristen McD said...

People join wholesale supply companies - so they pay a monthly fee and get access to semi-cheap items that they turn around and sell for a profit on EBay. I don't know. I don't think EBay is that much of a deal anymore, with people jacking up their "shipping and handling".

Anyway. Good luck on your endeavour - it sounds like a fun service. Have you thought about taking samples to hospital gift shops and flower stores as well? Maybe a Hallmark-type store? Drop of some business cards and a mini-sampler at consignment shops and see if you can talk your way into a display at a maternity store.

Do you HAVE business cards? If not, I know someone who can design 'em for you... ;)